16 Feb Gil Brandao, Conjunto Pratico
Posted at 16:20h in Pattern Making Instructions, Pattern Puzzles, Self-draft, Vintage Patterns 0 Comments
Gil Brandao’s patterns have a seductive quality in their simplicity and clarity. Often with pattern making instructions, simplicity is no more than an absence of information that can be finally very frustrating. Not so for Gil. His diagrams have all the required information. So much so that my inability to read Portuguese does not present a problem.
No matter how much confidence I have in Gil’s work I still need to verify his ideas by producing the pattern and a toile/muslin. The draft below begins with a 27 cm square:
- Then extend the right side of the square to a total length of 54 cm.
- Connect the lower left corner of the square to the end of the 54 cm line. This is your Centre Back line that will be placed on the fold in the fabric.
- Extend the top of the square to the right for a total of 85 cm.
- Then connect the end of the 54 cm line to the end of the 85 cm line.
- Finally draw in the cut line for the armhole 32 cm long, at a 45 degree angle from the top right corner of the square.
The diagram below has all the parts of the pattern labeled to give everyone a better understanding of how this bodice sits on the body. Please note this pattern has a Cut 1 to Fold instruction for the Centre Back line.
The full pattern piece is laid along the lengthwise grain of your fabric. Add a small seam allowance to finish this bodice and cut two to fully line this piece. This draft makes up to the relatively small size of an Australian Size 8 (bust 88cm, waist 65 cm). To grade into larger sizes add ½” per size between CB and armhole and add another 1 ½” between the armhole and tie end (per size). Add ¼’ to the height of the pattern, through the armhole area for each size.
Ultimately a bodice of this design, fitted only to the waist, has limited use in current fashion trends. The addition of a gathered or pleated skirt to this wrap top would make a very interesting dress. If you would like to grade this design to your own personal size I’ve posted the details here: Grade Rules – Gil Brandao Conjunto Pratico
Let me know if you have any questions in the comments section below. Always happy to help. Enjoy 🙂
STUDIO FARO MAKERS
More in our MAKERS Pinterest Album